NYC to Ihthica (via the Short Line Bus)

Jeff Robins had the plan. He would cycle the 500+ miles that he had mapped from Niagra falls to NYC on his own, assisted nobly by his colleague Bugs Russell providing driving support. He wanted to research a route for an East coast version of the Fireflies.  I bumped into him somewhere in Soho, and when he mentioned the ride I casually threw my hat into the ring. This was maybe not the most practical idea I've ever had.  The week in question was post Labor day. The kids were starting school again, routines were being reestablished. And I was pissing off to Ithica on a Short Line bus. Training efforts had been hampered by some bad luck, broken spokes, and not a small amount of inertia. But it was a great idea, all the same, and I wanted to be involved -even if it was for only four of the six days. The Fireflies West ride I did two years ago had faded into a golden haze of recollection, and the painful part of the memory had drifted away. But I do remember we were supported, we had a medic and Directeur Sportif for god's sake.  We rode in packs where you could shelter and be pushed along by the southerly coastal wind. Here we would have each other for most of the day. A different kind of ride and a different challenge. Shorter but maybe harder. Who knows? Tomorrow it starts.

Overheard before leaving:  "Why is Daddy always riding bikes. They're slow. Cars are fast."



Comments

Popular Posts